Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crafty Crafters

That's me!!! Or at least I'm trying to be...

Pinterest (my latest internet addiction) has shown me all these fantastic projects to do for everything, like holidays, or baby stuff, or household stuff, or...anything basically.

SO, I got the bright idea to put my hand to some of it.  I started with Baskets out of diaper boxes (it's a go big, or go home kinda project for sure!), and some homemade sugar scrubs to give as gifts.
I made my list and Kali and I trekked out to the stores.  1st up: Hobby Lobby.  That's where we got the scrapbook paper, jars, glue, and paintbrushes.  And you know I love a good sale!!! The jars, paintbrushes, and scrapbook paper were all on sale!  Plus I had a 40% coupon, so that was applied to the glue! Woo Hoo!

Next, we hit up Joann's.  We found the canvas, ribbon, and a really pretty fabric for the basket liners.  I was so excited because Kali "helped" pick out the fabric.  I picked one up, and she growled at it.  So I put it back. Then I picked up another, and she smiled and reached for it.  That's the one we got! HAHA!!! :)

Once we got home, I started on the sugarscrub first.
First, I had to make my Mod Podge.
I've heard lots of good things about this stuff.
But it costs around $8. 
I got the jar for $.99 and the glue for $3.

I did a 3 to 1 ratio of Glue and Water.
3 parts Glue; 1 part water.

Then, shake, shake, shake!
Done! Mod Podge for $4 :-)

Now, time to start making the jars for the sugar scrub
Got my Mod Podge, Scrapbook paper, jar, brush, and scissors!

Label for the front of the jar.
Cut out the shape you want, glue on with mod podge

Then take another piece of paper and make the label.
Put on with Mod Podge, and then brush Mod Podge over the whole thing to give it a shiney look.

LID!
This part was hard for me, and I don't think I could describe how I did it if I tried.

Finished product! This was my first "tester".
I'm going to keep it because it's not up to my standards. LOL
But I made 2 more that turned out great that I'm going to give as gifts!

Gift Jars!!!

Time to let the jars dry, so we started on the box bins.
Took the canvas and cut it to fit the box


Glued all the edges and stuck it on.
I was a little disappointed because you can still see the diaper box print through the canvas.
But then TJ said that he liked it because then people would know that we made them.
So now I kinda like them. :-)


Next, made the sugar scrub.
Sugar, Olive Oil, and scented essential oil.
It made the house smell SOOO good! :)


Finished products (kinda).
Diaper box - Bin; Mod Podge; and Sugar Scrub jars
Love them!

Here are all my jars filled up. 
I'm going to print a label for the front and add a ribbon and tag.  Then they'll be done.

I haven't made the basket liners, because I don't sew.
So I was looking for an online tutorial about how to do a "no-sew" liner, but couldn't find one.
Think I might just see if my mother-in-law (who does tons of sewing) will make them for me.
Can't wait until they're done and see how they look in the living room!


And that was the end of me being crafty.  But I'm sure with Pinterest, I'm going to find lots of things to do for the Holidays. YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment